County of Pike History

The County of Pike was separated from Wayne County on March 26, 1814. Wayne had been separated from Northhampton on March 21, 1798, and Northhampton had been formed from part of Bucks County on March 11, 1752. Bucks was one of the original counties created by William Penn in 1682. When formed in 1814, Pike County included the Townships of Middle Smithfield, Delaware, Upper Smithfield, Lackawaxen and Palmyra. By the Act of April 1, 1836 , a portion of Pike County was cut off to form part of Monroe County; otherwise, it's boundaries remain as they were established by the Act of 1814. It was named for Zebulon Montgomery Pike, discoverer of Pike's Peak and a General killed in the war of 1812. The County Seat is Milford. The original Courthouse was constructed in 1815. The present Courthouse was completed in 1874. The Administration Building was completed in 1985. The latest County facility is the Pike County Jail which was completed in 1995.


Township and Borough Information

Blooming Grove Township

Created December 17, 1850, from parts of Lackawaxen and Palmyra Townships. A visitor passing through about the time of the American Revolution discovered there an abandoned farm with a grove of large apple trees in bloom. They had obviously been planted many years before.

 

Ms. Joanna Donahue, Secretary/Treasurer

Address:
488 Route 739
Blooming Grove, PA 18428-9039

Phone: (570) 775-6461
Fax: (570) 775-9322

Contact Email:
joanna.donahue@bloominggrovetownship.com

Web Site:
www.bloominggrovetownship.com

Supervisor Meetings:
1st & 3rd Mondays at 7:00pm

Planning Commission:
2nd Wednesday at 6:00pm

Office Hours:
8:00 am to 4:00 PM

Delaware Township

The oldest of Pike's Townships, was in existence before 1766 as part of Northhampton County. It was named because it bordered the Delaware River and originally extended west to Luzerne County line.

 

Mr. Thomas M. Ryan, Chairman of the Board, Secretary/Treasurer

Address:
116 Wilson Hill Road
Dingmans Ferry, PA 18328

Phone: (570) 828-2347
Fax: (570) 828-8705

Contact Email:
dtbos@ptd.net

Web Site:
www.delawaretownshippa.gov

Hours of Operation:
S-2nd & 4th Wed. @ 7:30pm, P-1st, Wed. & 3rd Tues. @ 7:30pm ** Office Hours: Daily 8:30am - 3:30pm

Dingman Township

Created April 17, 1832, from Upper Smithfield Township. Named for Daniel Westbrook Dingman, a member of the Pennsylvania Legislature and a County Judge for 26 years. His grandfather, Andrew Dingman first came to the area about 1735 and started Dingman Ferry

 

Mrs. Karen Kleist, Secretary

Address:
118 Fisher Lane
Milford, PA 18337

Phone: (570) 296-8455
Fax: (570) 296-2150

Web Site:
www.dingmantownship.org

Hours of Operation:
S-1st & 3rd Tues @ 7:30pm, PC-2nd & 4th Wed. @ 7:30pm (2nd Wed workshop session) Office Hours: Daily 8:30 am – 3:30 pm

Greene Township

Created April 24, 1839, from Palmyra Township. Named for the popular Revolutionary War General Nathanel Greene, who fought at Boston, Long Island, Trenton and Brandywine.

 

Judy Kleeman, Secretary

Address:
198 Brinkhill Road
Greentown, PA 18426

Phone: (570) 676-9325
Fax: (570) 676-9867

Contact Email:
secretary@greenetownship.org

Hours of Operation:
S-1st Wed. @ 7:00pm, PC-2nd Wed. @ 7:00 pm Office Hours: M-F 9:00 am to 2:00 pm

Lackawaxen Township

Was named for the river which bore the Indian name meaning swift waters. It was one of the original townships of Wayne County in 1798.

 

Ms. Shawn Roe, Secretary

Address:
P.O. Box 205
Lackawaxen, PA 18435

Phone: (570) 685-7288
Fax: (570) 685-2550

Contact Email:
township@ltis.net

Web Site:
www.lackawaxen.org

Hours of Operation:
S-3rd Wed. @ 6:30pm, PC 1st Wed. @ 7:00pm Office Hours: Daily 7:00 am – 3:00 pm

Lehman Township

Created August 19, 1829, from Delaware Township. Listed on Tax rolls for Upper Smithfield Township in 1815 was Joseph Leighman, paying 55 cents on 442 acres. In 1824 his name was spelled Leaman and by 1832 was Lehman.

 

Mr. Robert Rohner, Secretary

Address:
193 Municipal Drive
Bushkill, PA 18324

Phone: (570) 588-9365
Fax: (570) 588-1864

Contact Email:
lehmanpk@ptd.net

Web Site:
www.lehmantownship.com

Hours of Operation:
S-1st & 3rd Wed @ 7:00pm., PC-2nd Thurs. @ 7:00pm Office Hours: Daily 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Matamoras Borough

Incorporated as a borough on January 18, 1905, was originally part of Westfall Township. Named during the Mexican War after the American Army captured the Mexican town of Matamoras. That town had originally been named for Rev. Mariano Matamoras, a hero of the Mexican Revolution.

 

Mrs. Nancy Buchanan, Secretary

Address:
P.O. Box 207
Matamoras, PA 18336

Phone: (570) 491-2771
Fax: (570) 491-2090

Contact Email:
mataboro@optonline.net

Hours of Operation:
BC-1st Tues @ 7:30 (except Nov, when 1st Wed.) PC-3rd Tues @ 7:00pm Office Hours: T-W-TH 11:00 am – 2:00 pm

Milford Borough

Incorporated as a borough on December 25, 1874, and was originally part of Milford Township. Milford's history dates back to 1733 when Tom Quick was the first settler. There are numerous historic buildings throughout the village, noteworthy among them are Forest Hall, Hotel Fauchere, the Court House, Grey Towers, The Columns, the Upper Mill and the Community House, the Callahan House, the Dimmick Inn and the Tom Quick Inn.

 

Ms. Lizanne Samuelson, Secretary

Address:
111 West Catherine Street
Milford, PA 18337

Phone: (570) 296-7140
Fax: (570) 296-6877

Web Site:
www.milfordboro.org

Hours of Operation:
BC-1st Mon. @ 7:30pm, PC-2nd Mon. @7:30pm Office Hours: M-W-TH-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Milford Township

Created April 17, 1832, from Upper Smithfield Township. John Biddis laid out the village in 1796. Some say it was named for Milford Haven in Wales where William Biddis (father of John) was born. Other say the Wells' Mill and the spot where the Delaware was forded resulted in the name Mill-Ford.

 

Mrs. Viola Canouse, Secretary

Address:
P.O. Box 366
Milford, PA 18337

Phone: (570) 296-5540
Fax: (570) 409-8348

Contact Email:
milfrdtp@ptd.net

Hours of Operation:
S-1st & 3rd Mon. @ 7:00pm, PC-4th Tues @ 7:00pm Office Hours: M-T-TH-F 9:00 am – 1:00 pm

Palmyra Township

Originally much larger, was formed in 1798 as a part of Wayne County. Like Bethany, Caanan, Promise Land and Lebanon, it was named because of its Biblical connection. The ancient town of Palmyra (or Tadmor) today is in Syria.

 

Mrs. Joanne Rose, Secretary

Address:
HCR Box 15C
Paupack, PA 18451

Phone: (570) 226-2230
Fax: (570) 226-4033

Contact Email:
palpikea@ptd.net

Hours of Operation:
S-1st & 3rd Tues. @ 7:30pm, PC-2nd Tues. @ 7:30 pm Office Hours: M-T-W-TH 8:00 am – 2:00 pm

Porter Township

Created December 16, 1851, from parts of Delaware and Lehman Townships. Named in honor of Hon. James Madison Porter who built the first house there at Portersville by Porter Lake in 1849.

 

Ms. Theresa Koch, Secretary

Address:
2186 Route 402
Dingmans Ferry, PA 18328

Phone: (570) 223-0447
Fax: (570) 775-7734
Contact Email:
info@portertownship.net

Web Site:
www.portertownship.net

Hours of Operation:
S-1st Mon. @ 6:00pm, PC-1st Mon @ 5:00pm Office Hours: Pickerel Inn

Shohola Township

Created September 25, 1852, from parts of Lackawaxen, Westfall and Milford Townships, bears the name which Indians used to describe the Creek. In comparison to the nearby Lackawaxen "swift waters," the Shohola was more quiet, tranquil or peaceful. Those who ask for a one-word translation of "Shohola" might well select "peaceful".

 

Mrs. Nelia Wall, Secretary

Address:
159 Twin Lakes Road
Shohola, PA 18458

Phone: (570) 559-7394
Fax: (570) 559-7523

Contact Email:
shohotwp@ptd.net

Web Site:
www.shohotwp.org

Hours of Operation:
S-2nd Thurs @ 7:30pm, PC-3rd Thurs @ 7:30 pm Office Hours: M-W 8:30 am – 2:30 pm

Westfall Township

Created January 31, 1839, from Milford Township. Simon Westfall (or Westfael) first settled there before 1743. His son Simon built the stone house in Matamoras. Two descendants, Cornelius and Jacob served as Justices of the Peace.

 

Lisa Green, Secretary

Terry Labastida, Assistant

Address:
P.O. Box 247
Matamoras, PA 18336

Phone: (570) 491-4065
Fax: (570) 491-6353

Contact Email:
westfallsec@optonline.net

Hours of Operation:
S-1st Tues. @ 7:00pm, PC-4th Tues. @ 7:00 pm.; 2nd Thurs 7:00pm PC Workshop Office Hours: Daily 8:30 am - 3:00 pm Zoning Office Hours: Mon & Tues only 5:00 – 7:00pm