Recorder of Deeds
|Recorder of Deeds||Sharon Schroeder|
About the Office
The functions of the Recorder of Deeds include recording and indexing documents pertaining to real estate (deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, etc) and acting as a collection agent for the PA Department of Revenue.
Ten Commandments of Recording Documents
1. Caption date vs. acknowledgment date: the acknowledgment should not predate the caption.
2. Acknowledgment must include the following: county, state, date, persons/corporate officers (names and titles) appearing and the notary's signature, seal and expiration date. If any of the above is missing, the acknowledgment will be considered defective.
3. Deeds, Mortgages, and Assignments should indicate the property's county and state.
4. The written amount must match the numerical amount on all deeds and mortgages.
5. Book and page numbers of mortgages must appear on all documents that refer back to an original mortgage
6. Checks submitted for payment of taxes and fees must be in the correct amount.
7. Multiple papers constituting one transaction must be clearly numbered to indicate the order in which they are to be places on record. Any re-recording expenses resulting from an improper order of documents will be paid for by the party submitting the instrument for recording.
8. Documents presented for recording with property in more than on municipality must clearly state the division of the local Transfer Tax in dollar amounts.
9. All deeds, all mortgages, and all assignments of mortgage should have a grantee, mortgagee, or assignee address. Grantee address should be signed.
10. All foreign documents must include written English translations to be recorded along with the original instrument.
- Adult Probation
- Area Agency on Aging
- Child Care Information Services
- Children and Youth
- Clerk of Courts
- Commissioners Office
- Community Planning
- Conservation District
- Correctional Facility
- Court Administration
- District Attorney
- Domestic Relations
- Elections Office
- GIS / Tax Administration
- Human Development
- Juvenile Probation
- Penn State Cooperative Extension
- Public Defender
- Recorder of Deeds
- Register of Wills
- Sheriff's Office
- Tax Claim
- Veterans Affairs
- Workforce Development